This is the only recipe on here that has refined sugar, and I'm okay with that because this is the ONLY dessert that I know how to make. I have also made it so many times, that I have found a sort of foolproof way to make it.
- 6 egg whites
- 2 cups 2 cups of caster sugar must be caster sugar
- 1/2 lemon Juice of
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Fruit, flowers, you name it to garnish.
- I often use my raspberry sauce which is a hit!
- In a standing mixer, beat the egg whites until they are white and frothy.
- Then, add the caster sugar one tbsp at a time on high. Let each tbsp get 30 seconds of whip time. Keep going until all the sugar is gone. It should be white and thick and shiny. If you hold the bowl over your head, nothing should come out!
- Add the lemon juice and cornstarch. Give that a minute on low speed to combine.
- Add parchment on a baking sheet upside down, separate the pavlova mixture in half, and make two 6-7 inch rounds.
- Bake at 250 for 1.5 hours. Please turn off the oven and crack it open a few inches — sometimes I put a potato to wedge it open, and it works well!
- Let the pavlova cool in the oven with the oven for at least an hour, but 2-3 is ideal.
- Then, the fun part! In the same standing mixer, whip the cream and the maple syrup.
- Add one of the rounds to a beautiful plate. Top it with whipped cream and add the second layer. Top that with whipped cream. Then top with fruit, flowers, an anything beautiful! It constantly changes, but I am privy to my raspberry sauce and some beautiful seasonal fruit and berries with flowers from the garden!